Red Quinoa with Mint and Pinenuts
I serve this Red Quinoa with Mint and Pinenuts to non-vegans and they love it. I always make extras of certain dishes so I have great lunch leftovers the next day. This is one of those dishes. For lunch the next day, there it is, all ready for me to just remove and enjoy. I just love to have extras on hand like this, so I usually cook more of a food than I need for that particular meal, just for this reason.
Some people think there’s a difference between red quinoa and white quinoa. I’m not one of them. There is also a less popular black variety of quinoa. I’ve never cooked the black, but I do like either the white or the red. They both have the same nutrition and flavor and the subtle nuttiness. The red quinoa is pretty for example in this dish with mint.
The white quinoa cooks the fastest, the red slightly longer and the black takes about 5 minutes longer than either of the other two.
I have even been known to add a cup of white quinoa to my brownie recipe. Though you can’t see the white specks, you can taste the nutty flavor. I brought the brownies to my Monday morning volunteer group and one of the girls asked what that nutty taste was. I thought it was very astute of her to notice.
- 1 cup of red Quinoa
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup of fresh parsley, finely snipped
- 4 – 5 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 2 medium red, ripe and firm tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, slivered
- 3 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1/2 cup pinenuts
- The juice of one lemon
- A drizzle of red wine vinegar, to taste
- A drizzle of olive oil, to taste
- 3/4 teaspoons of sea salt
- A few good grinds of fresh black pepper
- After your Quinoa has been very thoroughly rinsed in a strainer under running water, add it to your saucepan with the vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce to simmer. Let cook for 20 – 25 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Set aside while you gather the rest of the ingredients.
- Combine the dressing ingredients. Set aside.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl. Add the Red Quinoa. Add the dressing and mix well.
- Serve at room temperature or as a chilled side dish.