Vegan Orange Walnut Scones
If you like oranges and that citrusy flavor, you will like these Vegan Orange Walnut Scones. Adding the zest from fresh oranges along with the orange juice produces just the right amount of orange flavor.
Enjoy this scone with a cup of tea at 4:00 like the English do. Or better yet, invite a friend over and enjoy them together.
- Carol Fitzgerald
- 1 1/2 cups sprouted wheat flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup vegan butter (Earth Balance)
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- Scant 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup Almond milk
- 1/4 cup Maple syrup
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Zest of two oranges
- The two oranges chopped into tiny pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Use a whisk to remove any lumps. Add the vegan butter and mix well with a large fork, a pastry mixer or with two clean hands.
- Add the liquid ingredients. Stir. Then, add the nuts and orange pieces. Mix everything just until combined. Do not overmix.
- With a large spoon, mound scoops of dough onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle tops with sugar before baking (Optional).
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes (depending on your oven), or until they look browned and done.