Awesome Black Bean Burritos
These awesome black bean burritos were inspired by the burritos we are served when we go to the islands.
One day, Kennedy, my granddaughter, & I were sitting on the beach near lunch time and getting hungry.
Suddenly, we remembered the goodness of these burritos we’d had before. And since we hadn’t had them in awhile, we decided to place an order for lunch and planned to have them on the beach. We were going to be good and split one order. Oh my gosh!
They were so delicious, that we ordered another one to split which means we each ended up with one whole, large burrito. And when I say large, they were huge. I can’t believe we ate the whole thing.
Yikes! We were not practicing the principle of Hara Hachi Bu, for sure.
You could also make this as a Black Bean Burrito Bowl and save the calories of the flour wrap.
This is by no means all of the nutrition you get with these burritos, but here is just a short list. You’re getting your protein and fiber from the black beans, and fiber, selenium and manganese from the brown rice along with plenty of antioxidants.
You can be confident in knowing that the nutrients in the rest of the ingredients are feeding your body what it needs for optimal health. And who doesn’t want optimal health?
I really don’t know what the actual ingredients were in how they made them, but this is how I created the recipe for us at home.
These are wonderfully satisfying.
These black bean burritos are great for a family meal at home or worthy enough for guests. Add a lettuce salad and you for sure have a complete meal
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can green chilies
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Juice of one fresh lime
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Shredded lettuce and tomato
- Mild or hot sauce
- Spelt or flour tortillas
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Liberally spoon rice mixture onto center of tortilla. Roll up jelly roll fashion. Slice in half on the diagonal and place on bed of shredded lettuce and tomatoes.
- Drizzle tops of tortillas with Mild or hot sauce or your own homemade salsa or your own homemade Burrito sauce.