Blueberry Bread Pudding
This is Susan Branch’s Blueberry Bread Pudding recipe. If you don’t know Susan Branch you are in for a treat. I have all of her books and have been following her for years. She does all of the printing and artwork by hand, mind you. Her books are a delight for the mind and feast for the eyes. What a gift she has!
Now, here comes the disclaimer. She is not vegan and cooks with lots of milk and eggs and butter. Still, I like her and her books, not only for how she paints with words but also how she paints with pictures. Purely enchanting!
So, when I ran across this Blueberry Bread Pudding in her newsletter, I requested permission to use it, though I told her I was going to veganize it and if it turned out, I would let my readers know it originally came from her. She was fine with this.
She says you can serve this hot with hot Blueberry Sauce and ice cream (vegan, mind you) or you can serve it cold with cold Blueberry Sauce and whipped cream (vegan, of course).
- 1 large loaf day-old French bread or any of your favorite stale bread, really. (I use whole grain or multi grain bread)
- 3 egg replacers
- 2 cups Almond Milk
- 3 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups fresh peaches, pitted
- 3/4 cup vegan butter (optional), cut into bits
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 10 x 15 inch baking dish. Put cut-up bread into a large colander – pour about 4 cups hot water over the bread evenly. Leave for 5 minutes, then press out excess water and set aside. Wash and chop peaches into bite-sized pieces (You couldn’t much taste the peaches in here, though).
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg replacers, Almond milk, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Gently fold in bread, berries and peaches. Pour into the baking dish and dot with the cut-up vegan butter.
- Mix together cinnamon and nutmeg for the topping and sprinkle evenly over the pudding.
- Bake 1 hour and 20 minutes. Serve hot or cold.