Mache Smoothie What is it?
This Mache Smoothie is similar to the spinach smoothie above, but even sweeter (greens sweeter, not sugar sweeter) and silkier.
More blue (think blueberries) than green, this drink contains all the goodness of the greens. Not a very popular green, Mache isn’t the easiest green to find. There is a specialty store in Naples that carries it and I merely “happened upon it” one day. I was delighted that I decided to try it. It’s as smooth as silk. So you might find it in a specialty store in your area.
It’s native to France, but more popular in California.
Mache used to be considered a weed. Now, it’s a classy salad or smoothie green. It also goes by two other names: corn lettuce or lamb’s lettuce.
- Mache is highly concentrated with the important anti-oxidant nutrient, Vitamin C, which has that all-important effect of fighting cancer-causing free-radicals.
- It’s loaded with Vitamin A for good eye health.
- Potassium and copper (think heart-healthy) are found in rich levels in this green.
- Is also a high source of iron.
- Carol Fitzgerald
- 1 bunch or (5-ounce) package of Mache Greens.
- 1 1/2 bananas
- 1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1 cup water
- Blend until well mixed.