Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
Pumpkin is good for more than Pumpkin Pie, but if you like Pumpkin Pie, I’m quite sure you’ll like this Pumpkin Pie Smoothie. Wanting to incorporate more pumpkin in my diet, I got the idea from a Pumpkin Pie Smoothie on VegWeb, except that this one is completely different.
I can tell you I was quite wary to try it. I really didn’t want to dump an entire blender of a smoothie gone wrong. But I steeled myself and tried it anyway.
I decided to use a mild lettuce for this one so it didn’t become overpowering. So here goes. If you can’t find butter lettuce, use bibb, romaine, red leaf lettuce or even iceberg lettuce. A green that isn’t very strong or bitter.
At Halloween time, when pumpkins were abundant, I used to bake my own pumpkin and puree it. That’s really the best way to have it. Can’t get any fresher than that. But if you don’t want to go through all that bother, canned pumpkin is nearly as good. As long as it only has pumpkin and nothing else in it. Be sure to look for pumpkin puree not the pumpkin pie mix. The mix is full of stuff you really don’t want, sugar for one. And by the way, making your own pumpkin pie from scratch is so much the better than using a canned pumpkin pie mix. But then I digress.
1. Pumpkin is a nutrient dense food. Lots of nutrients means good stuff for your body.
2. It contains Vitamin C, postassium and great fiber. Helps with satiety, making you feel full.
3. Pumpkin is also rich in Vitamin A and a good food for vision health.
4. Vitamins A and C are antioxidants and fight against cancer causing free-radicals.
5. Consuming pumpkin helps with sleep, it’s an immune enhancer, and promotes heart health.
- This Pumpkin Pie Smoothie is just one way you can incorporate more pumpkin in your diet.
- Carol Fitzgerald
- 2 heads butter lettuce
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
- 2 fresh oranges
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons Agave sweetener
- 2 cups water
- Add the water first, then the fruit, the pumpkin, seasonings and the lettuce last. Before I added the lettuce, I blended it and tasted. I figured if I had to throw it away because of poor taste, I wouldn’t waste the greens. It tasted pretty good, so I added the greens and voila! A new green smoothie recipe.