Vegan Blueberry Cobbler
For me, Vegan Blueberry Cobbler was the hit of the evening.
We were invited to the home of our friends, Kathleen and Dave, for dinner one evening. Eight people were going to be there and I, the only vegan! Kathleen was pondering over not only what to make for them, but also what vegan for me.
I always tell people I am happy with a salad. But I always get more. Anyway, all of the appetizers were vegan. She made traditional lasagna for the others and conceded and bought a ready made vegan meal for me. Bless her heart. A true friend.
For dessert, she served this wonderful fresh-fruit dessert. It wasn’t originally vegan, but she made it so for me. Everyone loved it. I have since doubled it and made a few more changes to it. My family even loves it. And that’s saying something. A great summer time dessert. Here it is:
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- The juice of 1 lemon
- 3 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoons sea salt plus a dash more, divided.
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups boiling water
- Very lightly spray coat a 9 x 13 baking dish. Sprinkle blueberries into the pan and drizzle lemon juice over all.
- Cream the applesauce and half the sugar together in a large bowl. Sift the flour, baking powder and 1/2 the salt and add to the applesauce mixture.
- Add the almond milk and stir until combined. Spread this mixture over the blueberries.
- Now, in another bowl, combine the remaining sugar and cornstarch with the remaining salt. Sprinkle this mixture over the flour mixture. Then, pour 2 cups boiling water over all.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour. Serve warm with your favorite vegan ice cream or vegan whipped cream.