Banana Orange Muffins
Banana Orange Muffins wasn’t at all what I intended to make today. I was going to make my Pecan Muffins (with lots of fruit) but I didn’t have most of the ingredients. Now, I never run out of cinnamon as I always try to have backups of everything. You know, put the item on the grocery list before you actually run out. But here I was even out of cinnamon.
About that time, my husband walked into the kitchen and said, “What are you doing?” I said, “I don’t really know!”
I said, “I was planning to make some Mango Muffins, but the fresh mango I had wasn’t ripe enough or sweet enough. And the two cans of mango I had in the pantry tasted horrible. I ended up throwing both cans away.”
So I’m still trying to figure out what I’m doing.” He laughed and continued walking through the kitchen to the other room.
Well, I didn’t actually throw the canned mango away. I save food scraps for my son’s compost, so they went in to the food scrap bag. But here I was trying to determine what kind of muffins to make.
So I looked around to see what I had. One very ripe banana and a lovely looking orange in my fruit bowl. So I started with those two items. And that’s what I came up with: Banana Orange Muffins and I added lots of pecans.
They go together fairly quickly once you have all of your ingredients and utensils gathered.
I think the cinnamon would have added a nice touch though. So keep that in mind if you make these. I think I would add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon next go-around.
I only made a small batch (12) in case they didn’t turn out or just in case I didn’t like them. But they did turn out just fine, thank you, and I’m taking them to my volunteer group Monday morning. Now, though, I wish I had more, because I will take this entire batch of 11, that’s minus the one I ate already, so now I don’t have any for home. But hey! I can always do another batch tomorrow.
Caveat: These are not real sweet, so if you like sweet-sweet, add more sugar.
Give them a try!
- Banana Orange Muffins wasn’t at all what I intended to make today. I was going to make my Pecan Muffins (with lots of fruit) but I didn’t have most of the ingredients. Now, I never run out of cinnamon as I always try to have backups of everything. You know, put the item on the grocery list before you actually run out. But here I was even out of cinnamon.
- Caveat: These are not real sweet, so if you want them sweeter, add more sugar.
- Carol Fitzgerald
- 4 tablespoons flax meal mixed with 6 tablespoons water
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup quinoa flour
- 3/4 cup maple sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- zest of 1 large orange
- 1 large orange chopped into smaller pieces
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Mix flax meal with water and set aside.
- Combine all dry ingredients and mix together.
- Add the vanilla, the orange and orange zest, the mashed banana, applesauce and flax egg replacer. Mix well and lastly add the chocolate chips and the chopped pecans.
- Lightly spray a 12 cup muffin tin. Spoon batter into muffin cups nearly to the top.
- Bake at 350º for about 25 minutes or until done.