Blueberry Lemon Scones
Oops! Too sweet Blueberry Lemon Scones is not good, nor too sweet anything for that matter. I accidentally picked up the 1/3 cup measure for the sugar instead of the 1/2 cup and already had the sugar poured into the flour mixture before I realized it.
But then I guess it depends upon your taste. I don’t like anything too sweet. On the other hand, nothing is sweet enough for my husband, sweet addict that he is. So, suit yourself. But I think the 1/2 cup would be better than the 1/3 cup that I mistakenly used.
When these were all said and done, I wrapped two and gave to my son and his wife.
I wrapped two more and gave to my daughter.
I saved one for my husband.
Oh! I forgot to tell you I ate one first.
I froze the last two for another time when I just want to grab something quick. Good to have food like this on hand for those times when you just need travel-food.
- Carol Fitzgerald
- 1 cup sprouted whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/4 cup applesauce (to cut down on the fat)
- 1 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- The juice of one lemon
- The zest of one lemon
- Combine all dry ingredients. Mix well. Cut the vegan butter into the flour mixture. Use two clean hands to incorporate it.
- Add the applesauce, almond milk, lemon juice and zest and mix again, just until everything is well incorporated. Do not overmix. Add the blueberries last and mix in gently so they don’t get crushed.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and pat down. Cut into 8 equal portions.
- Very carefully with a lightly floured spatula, transfer wedges to a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.